Goyder Business Breakfast
Join us for an introductory breakfast to find out more about establishing a representative organisation for businesses in the Goyder area, and hear from guest speakers:
- Jeremy Carn – New Regional Manager, Northern SA – AusIndustry
- Cathie Brown – CEO – Leaders Institute of SA – Leading Australian Resilient Communities Program (LARC)
- Emily Riggs – Founder – Iris and Wool – Local Burra Entrepreneur
Complimentary breakfast with a Q&A session and networking time with the guest speakers and other local businesses.
7am breakfast – 7:10am start – 8:20am Q&A session – 8:30am networking – 9am finish
Special thank you to Neoen for their funding and support of business events in our region.
Date: Thursday, October 27
Time: 7am to 9am
Where: Burra Town Hall
Cost: Free, please register for catering purposes
Establishing a representative organisation for business in the Goyder area
A group of organisations, including the Burra Community Management Committee (BCMC), Eudunda Community, Business & Tourism (ECBAT), Regional Council of Goyder (RCOG) and Regional Development Australia Yorke and Mid North (RDAYMN) are exploring the potential for establishing some form of representative organisation for businesses operating in the area in and around Goyder as a way to bring businesses together to further economic growth, vibrancy and prosperity in the region.
These types of representative business organisations are typically member-based, incorporated as associations or equivalents, independent to Council and formed to represent members’ interests in accordance with a charter or constitution. Such organisations may be established as chambers of commerce, traders’ or precinct associations, or may style themselves as some other form of member-based organisation.
Regardless of the name and structure they may adopt, these organisations typically deliver services to and on behalf of members. Examples of the types of activities which may be delivered by these organisations include:
- Advocacy and representation to external stakeholders on behalf of members;
- Delivering or otherwise providing access to training and other professional and business services;
- Networking and referral services to improve connectivity between businesses and their owners and leaders;
- Promotion and marketing activities of its members and events to benefits local businesses;
- Staging events and functions to drive activity to benefit members and/or interactions between members.
The high-level concept being explored involves establishing a member-based organisation representing businesses in the Goyder area as a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organisation, run by a committee of elected members who represent all industries within the local region. The business and processes of the organisation and management committee would be conducted in accordance with a constitution that would be developed, operating transparently to benefit members.
Regular meetings addressing current issues, needs and initiatives would be followed by communication to its members via channels such as newsletters, social media posts, and/or invitations to any arranged events. An open line of communication would also be available to members who can contact the committee to discuss their individual situation and submit any ideas and/or events they may be planning.
Essentially the organisation would be there to represent members businesses by providing advocacy, promotion, information, and networking services to benefit members.
Input sought from stakeholders
The entities exploring the potential for such an organisation are keen to hear from businesses and stakeholders in the Goyder area to understand the level of interest in establishing a representative business organisation, as well as the particulars for said organisation in the event suitable interest is shown.
Accordingly, stakeholders’ views are sought in respect of the following questions:
- Would you support the formation of a representative organisation to represent and support businesses in the area?
- What type(s) of activities would best support your business/industry, that such an organisation should focus on delivering?
- What level of resourcing would you support to help fund such an organisation to allow them to organise and manage events and initiatives for members (i.e. what level of membership fee would you consider paying, and what level of public funding would you be in support of)?
- Would you be interested in: being a member of such an organisation; and/or being involved in developing the concept further and eventual formation of such an organisation?
Questions, comments and having your say
We want to hear your thoughts around the establishment of a representative organisation for business in the Goyder area.
This survey is now closed, please join us at our Business Breakfast for more information.
Please share this consultation paper with other stakeholders in the region.
Any questions can be directed to any of the contacts listed below.
Economic Workforce Manager, Regional Development Australia Yorke and Mid North
Mob: 0488 557 656
Economic Development Officer, Regional Development Australia Yorke and Mid North
Mob: 0488 194 699
Chair, Burra CMC
Mob: 041 7888 243
Chair, Eudunda Community, Business and Tourism
Mob: 0408 081 127
Community Development Manager, Regional Council of Goyder
Ph: 8892 0100
Photo: Red Banks Conservation Park, Josh Geelan