South Australia’s COVID-19 Restricitons

Update 20 November

As of 12pm today, Friday 20 November 2020 exercise outside of your home with members of your household is permitted.
Masks are not mandatory but are encouraged.

Schools will re-open on Monday 23 November 2020.

As of 12:01 am on Sunday 22 November (Midnight Saturday) we will revert to similar restrictions that were in place on Monday 16 November 2020.

This includes:

  • 1 person per 4 square metres will apply.
  • All food and beverages will need to be consumed while seated.
  • No dancing
  • Updated gathering provision numbers being:
    • Onsite purchase and consumption of food and beverages- 100 people maximum and no more than 10 people at each table.
    • Funerals- 50 people maximum
    • Weddings- 150 people maximum and registration of all guests with SA Health
    • Religious ceremonies (not including a wedding or funeral)- 100 people maximum
    • Private gatherings- 50 people maximum
    • Private residence- 10 people per house (unless more than 10 people permanently reside at the residence)
  • Personal care workers will need to wear masks.
  • Gyms are permitted to reopen.

We will continue to review all Directions with the aim to open the borders to Victoria on 1 December 2020 as originally planned and further open our state by reducing restrictions.

Please stay connected to this page as we work on the new Direction and update all information as quickly as possible.


Circuit breaker restrictions 18 November

Key facts

The Stay at Home period will begin at 12:01 am on Thursday 19 November will end on 12:01 am on Wednesday 25 November 2020. All people in South Australia will be required to Stay at Home for the entire period.

Community activities including business, professional, educational, academic and government activities must stop operation unless it is carried out in line with this direction or does not involve leaving the home.

Once the Direction commences people must travel as quickly as possible, but within 24 hours, via the most direct practical route home and must remain there for the entire period.

This does not apply if a person is otherwise advised by a medical practitioner to relocate. Similarly, this is not applicable to a person if they do not have a home to reside, if it unavailable or if the person is at risk of harm if they were to stay.

All gatherings are prohibited other than between those who ordinarily reside at the home or as part of an activity occurring in accordance with this direction.


Essential workers

A person may leave the home for the purpose of undertaking duties as an essential worker which are classified as those people who perform work which is essential for the continued operation of any of the following operations/businesses:

  • a blood bank (including blood collection and delivery);
  • administrative services provided by an employer to enable its employees to work from home;
  • air transport (including airports);
  • bakeries that supply baked goods on a wholesale basis (but do not, during the defined period, sell or supply on a retail basis to members of the public);
  • bottle shop;
  • care services for people with particular needs because of homelessness, age, infirmity, disability, illness or chronic health;
  • childcare, early childhood education, primary/secondary schools;
  • commercial operations that supply goods or services necessary for the implementation of measures to limit the spread of COVID-19;
  • Commonwealth agency services, including Australian Border Force and Commonwealth law enforcement and intelligence agency services;
  • consular and diplomatic services;
  • distribution centre;
  • domestic and commercial waste and resource recovery services (including collection, treatment and disposal services and transfer stations), but only those services that are provided to commercial contractors;
  • emergency services being:
    • ambulance services;
    • firefighting services;
    • medical retrieval services (including Royal Flying Doctor Services);
    • military and defence services deployed activities in South Australia;
    • paramedical services;
    • police services;
    • state emergency services;
  • essential health services;
  • essential infrastructure and essential services within the Essential Services Act 1981 (SA);
  • factory or facility (only operations which would otherwise cause damage to the plant and equipment);
  • financial institution;
  • freight services (including postal and courier services);
  • hardware store;
  • hotel or motel accommodation;
  • journalists and media services;
  • National Heavy Vehicle Regulator compliance activities
  • organisations that provide urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises (e.g. plumbing, Centrelink services and Foodbank);
  • pet store or veterinary clinic;
  • petrol station;
  • pharmacy;
  • port operations;
  • post office;
  • primary industries (only to ensure adequate supply of food and care of crops and animals);
  • production and distribution of food for sale by supermarket/butcher/fruit/vegetable store/fishmonger, liquor sales at a bottle shop and medical and pharmaceutical products;
  • public transport (including taxis and other public passenger services)
  • state or local government services which are deemed essential by their Chief Executive;
  • supermarket, butcher, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger (but not an indoor or outdoor market);
  • truckstops and roadhouses, but not the provision of seated dining or shower facilities to persons who are not truck drivers;
  • vehicle repair and mechanical services (including roadside assistance).

Essential workers may now be transported by private vehicle to and from their place of work by their spouse, domestic partner or parent if the travel is by the most direct and practicable route to and from the place of work.


Reasons to leave home

One person can leave their home, per day, for the purposes of obtaining essential goods or service from a:

  • consular and diplomatic services;
  • distribution centre;
  • financial institution;
  • hardware store;
  • bottle shop;
  • pet store or veterinary clinic;
  • petrol station (including a petrol station that sells groceries), but not to obtain food or beverages prepared on site (whether for consumption on site or take away);
  • pharmacy;
  • post office;
  • supermarket, butcher, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger (but not an indoor or outdoor market);
  • urgent services necessary for the health and safety or any person, animal or premises; and
  • vehicle mechanical services.

Shops defined above may open and close at any time for the purposes of essential goods or services. A person may leave home with a dependent if they cannot be left at home alone.

People may also leave their home to:

  • access child care, primary or secondary education services if the child is that of an essential worker, resides in the care of the State or there are circumstances of vulnerability;
  • adhere to shared parenting arrangements (court or otherwise);
  • comply with a legal requirement at a place such as a police station, court or other home relating to justice or law enforcement;
  • donate blood;
  • ensure adequate supply of food, care and exercise to animals that are situated away from the home if no other person is available;
  • escape harm or risk of harm, including in relation to family violence or violence of another person at the home;
  • direct and practicable means;
  • obtain essential health services;
  • provide care and support to a relative or other person due to their health or because of homelessness, age, infirmity, disability, illness or chronic health condition;
  • provide child-minding assistance so that the parent/guardian can leave to obtain essential goods or service and/or for the purpose of undertaking duties as an essential worker;
  • provide end of life support to an immediate family member;
  • undergo a COVID-19 test; and
  • undertake work as an essential worker.

People may also leave their home in an emergency situation.

In obtaining essential goods or services, or as an essential worker a person may use public transport. They must travel to and from the location via the most direct and practicable means.


Essential health services

The following essential health services are permitted:


  • Emergency surgery, procedures and medical consulting where failing to provide will lead to loss of life/limb or permanent disability;
  • Non-emergency surgery, procedures and medical consulting where failing to provide will lead to loss of life or permanent disability;
  • Health services provided in a hospital Emergency Department, by a General Practitioner and at a hospital radiology service;
  • Medical procedures or services that relate to the following:


  • Procedures and surgical treatment by dentists in authorized public health care centres in the management of patients with obvious facial swelling due to infection, facial trauma or severe unrelenting pain;
  • Procedures to complete a cycle of IV treatment that was commenced before the implementation of the direction or any procedure required for the preservation of eggs for future IVF which is required to prevent eggs from becoming non-viable; and
  • Surgical termination of pregnancy.


  • Drug and alcohol services may be provided; and
  • The conduct of human medical research trials.


Allied health services may be provided by applied health professionals or students, medical/nursing/midwifery/allied health on placement when working in providing critical clinical care, in residential care facilities or in private practice.

Mental health services may be provided in hospital emergency, at inpatient psychiatric services, by allied health professionals providing mental health services in hospital, private psychiatric practices or by allied health professionals in community settings with a preference of telehealth but face-to-face is permitted in the instance of emergency clinical care in life-threatening situations.


Testing of commercial transport and freight operators

A Commercial Transport and Freight Services operator is no longer to required to produce to an authorized officer evidence of a COVID-19 test or test result relating to a test undertaken within the preceding 7 days and is not required or in future.

Please remain calm and be patient while we work together to get this information out to the community of South Australia.

All directions, frequently asked questions and other information can be found here:

You will need to wait for further information in relation to this however, if you have any pressing questions in relation to COVID-19 information please contact the SA COVID-19 Information Line on 1800 253 787 between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm 7 days per week or go to the SA Health website at or